Find out if your skin is classified as normal, oily, dry, sensitive, or older so you will know how to treat it best.
Most of us know that maintaining healthy facial skin is important for our general health.
We all fill our bathroom shelves with different skincare products – but how do we choose the ones that are right for us?
How do I know if I have a Normal skin type?
Normal skin is defined as not too oily and not too dry.
The main indications for that are:
- The face skin does not appear red or have pimples on it. Some women may detect a sudden pimple on the surface of the skin from time to time, it can usually be related to the menstrual cycle.
- The facial pores are small, almost invisible.
Best skincare routine suitable for Normal skin:
- Daily facial cleansing with basic gentle products.
- Prefer those products that contain antioxidants that fight free radicals and repel signs of ageing.
- Do not forget to apply a moisturiser that contains a high SFP (especially in Summer).
- Consider adding retinoids (a derivative of vitamin A), or vitamin C to your daily diet, to increase the rate of collagen production.
How do I know if I have a Dry skin type?If your face feels itchy, flaky, inflexible and often red, it is likely that the outer layer of the skin does not retain its natural oils and moisture properly.
Best skincare routine suitable for Dry skin:To keep your face skin full of vitality:
- Use cleansers and face creams with ingredients that contain hyaluronic acid and ceramide, as well as alpha-hydroxy acids. These ingredients help remove the first layer of skin and reveal healthy skin cells.
- Avoid a foamy face soap as it removes the oily layer of the skin which makes it dry. There are products that are suitable for dry skin that aim to open the pores of the skin and allow moisture to be absorbed.
- If the skin really peels off try applying face oil based on olive oil or coconut oil BEFORE applying a moisturiser. This may help smooth the skin.
- Be sure to enrich the facial skin with products specifically designed for that and that are based on natural nurturing ingredients.
- Silica is an important building block of the skin, hair and nails and other connective tissue in our bodies. It is often used as a key ingredient in the production of collagen. If your daily diet is low in essential vitamins and minerals, consider consuming silica as an essential nutritional supplement to maintain radiant and healthy skin. Add to the daily diet omega 3 essential fatty acid which has a beneficial effect on the skin and it maintains the integrity of the cell membranes throughout the body.
How do I know if I have an Oily skin type?
- If shortly after rinsing, your skin looks shiny and is greasy to the touch;
- And/or if you suffer from blackheads, medium to large pores;
- And the appearance of pimples is not related to this time of the month.
Best skincare routine suitable for Oily skin:
- Keep your pores clean by using a daily peel.
- Use products containing salicylic acid or alpha hydroxy acid.
- Think moisture. If you dry your face’s skin, the sebaceous glands that produce oil will go into action and the number of pimples will increase.
- Be sure to use a moisturizer or water-based sunscreen so that they do not cause exacerbation.
- Use products designed to treat acne, disinfect and protect facial skin and reduce oiliness.
How do I know if I have a Sensitive skin type?There is one main sign for sensitive skin type.
Best skincare routine suitable for Sensitive skin:
- Use a daily dose of gentle products for cleansing and caring for the skin.
- Avoid any product that is enriched with fragrances.
- Soothe irritations and redness with anti-inflammatory products, such as green tea and liquorice root extract.
- B vitamins play a vital role in dozens of physiological processes in the body.
The body relies on B vitamins to produce white and red blood cells and therefore they have an effect on:
- Energy production
- Nerves system
- Mental stress states
- Metabolic diseases
- Skin problems.
- Do not give up a sunscreen especially in summer. Be sure to choose products with gentle sunscreens that have subtle ingredients like zinc, or consume zinc as a dietary supplement. Zinc is an essential mineral that encourages the healing of skin wounds.